John Murdoch. (1836 to 1923)
Traveled to St. Louis, Mo. 1854, and to San Francisco 1855 to 1857. He was an accomplished painter of people, landscapes, buildings, animals and native Americans. Murdoch exhibited paintings at the Mechanics' Institute (San Francisco) in 1857, and at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in 1862. He painted with Thomas W. Richards (first professor of Drawing and Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania).
Murdoch' s work is in the Lightner Museum, Florida (building), Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore (building), and the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco, California (race horses). He is also known for painting in the Barbizone style (Toomey/Treadway Auction Gallery; Leslie Hindman Auction Gallery - California Sunset scene, "Land of the Otters"). His tombstone in Green Mount Cemetery, Baltimore, Maryland, states DOB 1836 and DOD 1923.
Charter member of Baltimore Chapter of the AIA. Professional architect, he designed Delaware River fortifications during the Civil War. At the close of the Civil War he opened an architectural business with N.H. Hutton from 1867 to 1873. Murdoch designed and engineered dozens of lighthouses along the Eastern Seaboard. The firm designed buildings, railroads, and lighthouses in Maryland and nearby states. Murdoch established his own office in 1874 in Baltimore.
Information provided by H. German