Often Known For
western genre, figure and landscape painting
Would you like to discuss this artist?
AskART Discussion Boards
|Biography from InSight Gallery:|
|Dan Bodelson works in a diverse range of media, subject matter and style. He was born in Minnesota, and spent his childhood growing up in Colorado and New Mexico. After graduating from high school in Santa Fe, he went to California to pursue his studies in art at California College of the Arts in San Francisco/Oakland, where he graduated with a BFA in 1972. |
After graduating, he worked briefly as an illustrator in San Francisco. He left his advertising career in San Francisco after a year because his love for painting pulled him back to Santa Fe where he has lived ever since. There, he has devoted his artistic energies in telling visual stories of the West and painting its landscape and people.
Bodelson's subject matter includes the American Indian and their lives, subtle landscapes, scenes of past and present from cowboy life, and delicate still life's. His imagination is kindled by Western literature as well as the natural beauty, which surrounds him.
Dan and his family---wife Patty, and daughters Danielle and Gabrielle---travel quite a bit, and Dan has painted on most all these trips, completing paintings of the Bahamas, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Mexico, and many other wonderful places.
His work is found in private and corporate collections including: State of New Mexico; Allied Bank of Houston; Plains Capital Bank, Texas; Avis Industrial Corporation, Indiana; Bank of America; Wells Fargo Bank; Former governors Bruce King of New Mexico and Frank Keating of Oklahoma; Amblin Corporation; Movie Director Steven Spielberg; Composer John Williams and his wife Samantha; pitcher Nolan Ryan; and actors Amy Irving, Don Johnson, and Melanie Griffin.
His work has been exhibited from New York to Los Angeles including The Art League of New York (special award for painting); The Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma; Autry Museum in Los Angles, CA.; Albuquerque Museum in New Mexico; Cheyenne Frontier Days Museum (which bought a painting for its permanent collection); New Mexico Governors Gallery at the State Capital in Santa Fe, NM.; Santa Fe Fine Arts Museum; Haley Library in Midland Texas; Denver Rotary Artist of America show in Denver CO; and Eiteljorg Museum Quest For The West show.
He has been featured in select publications including The New York Times, Business Week, Art of the West, Southwest Art, Colorado Cowboy, The Santa Fean, Cowboys & Indians, and the book, Contemporary Western Artists. One of his paintings was selected for the Santa Fe Opera poster.
Since the early 1970?s, Dan Bodelson has been involved with many group, individual, and invitational shows. He also has a few organizations he supports with artwork donations for fund raising such as The Children Museum, Santa Fe; and The Kidney Foundation of New Mexico.
|Biography from Trailside Galleries:|
|Dan Bodelson, b. 1949, Minnesota, (United States)|
Dan Bodelson was born in Minnesota and spent his childhood growing up in Colorado and New Mexico. After graduating college, he worked briefly as an illustrator in San Francisco. He left his illustrating career in San Francisco after a year, as his love for painting pulled him back to Santa Fe where he has lived and painted ever since. Bodelson’s subject matter includes the American Indian and their lives, scenes of past and present from western life, subtle landscapes, and delicate still life. Bodelson's imagination is kindled by Western literature as well as the natural beauty which surrounds him.
• California College of the Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, San Francisco, CA, 1972
• Cheyenne Frontier Days Museum, Cheyenne, WY
• Denver Rotary Artist of America Show, Denver, CO
• Art of the West, "The Art of Breaking Rules", Minnetonka, MN March/April 2014
• Southwest Art, “Merging Hands & Mind”, Broomfield, CO February 2013
• New York Times
• Business Week
• Cowboys and Indians
• The Santa Fean
• Contemporary Western Artist
• The Art League of New York, Special Award for Painting
• Art League of New York, New York, NY
• Autry National Center, Los Angeles, CA
• Masters of the American West, Los Angeles, CA
• Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. Indianapolis, IN
• Gilcrease Museum. Tulsa, OK
• Albuquerque Museum, Albuquerque, NM
• Cheyenne Frontier Days Museum, Cheyenne, WY
• New Mexico Governors Gallery, Santa Fe, NM
• Santa Fe Fine Arts Museum. Santa Fe, NM
• Haley Library, Midland TX
• State of New Mexico Museum. Albuquerque, New Mexico
• American TruckSource, Georgetown, TX
• Ironstone Bank. Santa Fe, NM
• GE Industrial & Power Systems, Fairfield, CD
• Rio Grande Title, Albuquerque, NM
• Dyson-Kissner Moran Corporation, New Canaan, CT
• Allied Bank, Houston, TX
• Chairman & CEO Granite Associates, New York, NY
• Austin Calvert. Flavin. San Antonio, TX
• Chairman & CEO, Lincoln Property Company, Dallas, TX
• Steven Spielberg, Amblin Entertainment, Los Angeles, CA
• Founder & Chairman Cantage Companies, Dallas, TX
• Frank Keating, Oklahoma City, OK
• Bruce King, Santa Fe, NM
• Chairman & CEO, Avis Industrial Corp. Upland, IN
• Nolan Ryan, Austin, TX
• Melanie Griffith, Los Angeles, CA
• Don Johnson, Los Angeles, CA
• Robert Folsom, Dallas, TX
• Chairman & CEO, Cinemark USA Inc, Plano, TX
• Amy Irvine, Los Angeles, CA
• John Williams, New York, NY
• Flour Corporation, Irving, TX
• Plains Capital Bank, Texas
• Bank of America. Santa Fe, NM
|Biography from Debbie Leeuw Fine Art:|
|Dan Bodelson, a realist oil painter of the life and land of the Southwest, was born in Minnesota in 1949, and has lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, since 1973. |
"Painters of today that I especially admire," Bodelson states, "include James Reynolds, Tom Lovell and Clark Hulings. All of them have a deep love for what they do and a craftsmanship that sets them apart from others. Their painting goes far beyond subject matter or style -they reach out to you -and this is what I want my work to do."
Raised in Boulder, Colorado, Bodelson graduated from high school in Santa Fe, and went on to California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland where he earned his BFA in 1972. He worked briefly as an illustrator in San Francisco and then returned to Santa Fe.
He emphasizes that "living in Santa Fe is ideal. There is a tremendous energy and creativity flowing there. Some of the best living artists are here and are willing to give help and share their experiences when asked.
"I paint westerns (past and present), animals, landscapes, damn near anything that I get excited about," he adds. "I try not to limit the flow of ideas, no matter what the subject matter, but I draw my ideas with pen or brush in oil on primed linen. Before the final painting is laid out, I do drawings and oil sketches when needed.
Business Week on December 28, 1981, listed Bodelson "among those whose works are good bets" for investment. He began exhibiting as an illustrator in California in 1972 and was in invitational exhibitions by 1978, including "Margaret Jamison Presents", "Previews" and the Stamford Art Show.
|** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at registrar@AskART.com.|