Please be very cautious of offers that involve the following:
1. Complicated or unusual requests regarding shipping arrangements (especially internationally)
2. Wire transfers, on-line escrow services, or cashier checks for an amount exceeding your agreed upon price. DO NOT go there. If you receive that request, then delete the party from further communication.
3. Overseas buyers for your American art, i.e. Nigeria, Romania, Ukraine, Spain, UK, Italy, Netherlands, unless you are 100% sure of the source. Wait for their payment to be verified as good funds by your bank before shipping to the buyer.
4. Most dialogue is about the procedure on how to pay for the item than any genuine interest in what you are selling
5. A 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc) is in the loop
6. Offers to pay a price that exceeds your asking price
7. Dialogue to extract information about you and your financial connections, while acting as though they will be purchasing from you.
Never give out personal financial information.
If you are suspicious, then do NOT answer their inquiry at all.