(1896 - 1989)
Henry R. Diamond was active/lived in New York, Connecticut. Henry Diamond is known for landscape painting, architecture.
Born in Albany, NY, Henry R. Diamond (1896-1989) studied architecture at Syracuse University. In the 1920s he moved his studio from New York City to a home in Roslyn Heights.
Inspired by the local architecture, he began sketching older Roslyn buildings and scenes, which he later made into wood and linoleum engravings. Although self-taught in this medium, his skill in capturing these Roslyn views enabled him to earn income during the Depression. His wife, Catherine, assisting in this endeavor, would often be the one to sell the engravings and take orders for other works. As an active water colorist and member of the local art community through the 1920s and 30s, Henry R, Diamond taught art classes, regularly participated in exhibitions and designed book jackets for Doubleday and other publishers. He also designed and made Early American style furniture and was the architect of several houses, including his own after settling in Connecticut in 1958.
A collection of Henry R. Diamond engravings is held in the Bryant Library's Local History Collection.
Myrna Sloam, Archivist for The Bryant Library, Roslyn, New York:
Submitted by Lui Antal Deak