(1920 - 2004)
Matanya Abramson was active/lived in Israel. Matanya Abramson is known for sculpture.
Matanya Abramson was born in Kvutzat Kinneret, Israel to a
pioneering family from Russia. After graduating from Mikve Yisrael
agricultural high school, he studied painting with various Israeli
artists. He served in the Haganah, the British Navy, the Palmach and the
Israel Defense Forces for 12 years.
After the Israeli War of
Independence he studied sculpting with Jascha Shwartzman and Kosso Eloul. In
1954, he worked in Paris for six months. He then returned to Kvutzat
Kinneret where he continued to work in agriculture and sculpture.
1959, he moved to the artists' colony in Safed. In 1962, he went to
Italy for two years. The sculptures he produced in Cararra and Florence
were sent to New York in October 1962. In 1964 he moved to Ein Kerem,
Jerusalem, and in 1965 to Jaffa. Abramson works in stone, marble, wood, bronze, aluminum and copper.
Mikve Yisrael agricultural school
1959, studied with artists in Safed
1954 sculpture studies, Paris
1962 sculpture studies, Carrara and Florence, Italy
Studied with Kosso Eloul
In 1968, he won a Prize for Sculpture from the Munich Municipality, Germany