(1908 - 1998)
Evelyn Raymond was active/lived in Minnesota. Evelyn Raymond is known for religious and technology themed sculpture, teaching.
Biography from the Archives of askART
Evelyn Raymond was St. Louis Park's most recognized artist in residence. Born on March 20, 1908 in Duluth, she studied at the Minneapolis School of Art and Design until she quit over a staff mandate to discontinue doing abstract art. She and some fellow students pooled their meager Depression resources and rented a studio in downtown Minneapolis.
Biography from the Archives of askART
?She really made her reputation as a WPA artist, teaching sculpture for 25 cents an hour "to everyone from garagemen to executives. It was like the Renaissance. Those days were really fun, "she recalled in a 1991 article in the Sailor. She was the head of the sculpture department at the Walker Art Museum from 1938 to 1951. During the 1940s she founded and served as President of the Minnesota Sculpture Society.
?In 1951 she created a studio and apartment at 4501 W. 38th Street (3730 Monterey Drive) at the corner of Excelsior Blvd. and Monterey (now Trader Joe's parking lot). A former resident of the home describes the '40s-era house as very elegant, with black walnut walls and glass block. Her students were primarily women, which she attributed to the fact that her classes were in the morning when usually women could attend. She did feel that women had a better feel for sculpture than men.
?She was an active member of the community, contributing a recipe for salt pork potatoes to the Dispatch in 1960.?? Miss Raymond was best known for her bronze Maria, which was commissioned for Minnesota's Centennial in 1958. It would be displayed at Statuary Hall in the U.S. Capitol. She had won the honor among 12 contestants who vied to create the statue of Maria Sanford, "Minnesota's First Lady of Pioneers." It was the first statue of a woman in the Capitol, and Raymond was the first female sculptor represented at the Capitol.
?Other pieces and their locations around Minnesota include:
?The Family, a 3,200 pound copper sculpture, was created in 1959 for the front of the MSI Insurance Company at 1919 University. In 1979 the company moved, and donated the sculpture to the College of St. Thomas. The bas-relief piece is about 21 ft. wide and 18 ft. high. It was mounted on the east wall of the college's T. Merritt and Katherine Coughlan Field House.
?International Falls Stadium - cement bas-relief of athletes - 1941-42
?Farmer's Exchange Building in South St. Paul - six walnut figures - moved to Sanex Building
?Sebeka High School
?St. Joseph's Church, Hopkins
?Church of the Good Shepherd, 48th & France, Edina - 1949
?Fairview Southdale Hospital - "Time for Love"
?St. Olaf College - Busts of Mr. and Mrs. Skoglund
?University of Minnesota Field House - sculpture of Bernie Bierman - commissioned in 1976 by 276 of his former players.
?Minneapolis Public Library - Alabaster pelican (lost?)
?Church of St. Austin, Minneapolis - Hammered copper piece of St. Austin
?Walker Art Museum - The Doors
?Minnesota Historical Society - Erg
?Timothy Lutheran Church (7814 Minnetonka Blvd.)
?St. George's Episcopal Church (5224 Minnetonka Blvd.) Victory cross was sold to a church in the Dominican Republic. A small crucifix is in St. George's lobby.
?Raymond's final legacy to St. Louis Park is the Celebration of Peace sculpture that was dedicated at the Rec Center in 1997. Her desire was to create a piece that would represent the birds that were displaced when Wolfe Park was developed.
?Evelyn Raymond passed away on April 25, 1998. She is featured in the 2011 book Pioneer Modernists: Minnesota's First Generation of Women Artists, by Julie L'Enfant.
"Evelyn Raymond", St. Louis Park Historical Society, www.slphistory.org/history/raymondevelyn.asp (Accessed 10/16/2013)
Evelyn Raymond was born in Duluth, Minnesota in 1908. She attended the Minnesota College of Art Design in Minneapolis before withdrawing to follow two teachers to a new program, the Minneapolis Art Students League. After working and caring for her mother in Duluth for eight years, Raymond returned to Minneapolis to begin her career as a sculptor in the Works Progress Administration's Federal Art Project in 1938.
** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at
Between 1939 and 1951 she taught at the Walker Art Center school and was the head of the sculpture department. In 1958 her statue of Maria L. Sanford was installed at the U.S. Capitol Building, Washington, D.C. In addition to her ongoing career as a sculptor creating architectural sculptures for businesses and churches, busts of well-known people, and many other works, she continued to teach in her own studios.
Evelyn Raymond died in 1998.
"Evelyn Raymond", Minnesota Historical Society, www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/p2631.xml (Accessed 10/16/2013)
Share an image of the Artist email@example.com.