Tim Solliday is active/lives in California, Iowa. Tim Solliday is known for landscape and figure painting.
Biography from the Archives of askART
California plein-aire painter Tim Solliday won his first art competition at the age of 14 and knew he wanted to paint for his career. He attended a city college in the Long Beach area but soon dropped out having been disappointed with the art courses.
Biography from Trailside Galleries
He went to work as a sign painter and learned the principles of art. When he left the sign company he painted on his own and supplemented his income by creating posters, doing book illustrations and doing artwork for the film industry.
Solliday studied for six years with Theodore Lukits at the Lukits Academy of Fine Art. Solliday began selling his work at local art shows and has since found a national following.
Solliday works from a studio in Alhambra, California once inhabited by Frank Tenney Johnson. His subjects include landscape, narrative and figures. He has earned top awards from the Oil Painters of America, California Art Club Gold Medal shows and the Laguna Beach Plein Air Painting Invitational.
Southwest Art, February 2004
Tim Solliday, b. 1952, Ottumwa, Iowa, (United States)
Biography from American Legacy Fine Arts
California landscape and figure painter Tim Solliday was inspired by his artist-father to begin painting. Solliday supplemented his income by creating posters, book illustrations and creating artwork for the film industry. In the late 1980s he studied with early California impressionist, Theodore N. Lukits (1897-1992).
Solliday works from a studio in Alhambra, California once inhabited by Frank Tenney Johnson. His subjects include landscape, narrative and figures. Solliday's style of painting is reminiscent of Taos Society of Artists painters William Herbert Dunton and Ernest Martin Hennings.
• Lukits Academy of Fine Art
• Laguna Beach Plein-Air Invitational
• Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art at Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
• Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, CA
• California Art Club's Gold Medal Juried Exhibitions,
• Jonathan Art Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
• California Institue of Technology, Fine Arts Club of Pasadena, Pasadena, CA
• Autry National Center, Masters of the American West, Los Angeles. CA
• National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Prix de West, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma,
• Carnegie Art Museum, Oxnard, CA
• Maynard Dixon Country Exhibition.
• Western Art & Architecture, April/May, 2012
• Art of the West, November/December, 2009
• Southwest Art
• International Artist
• American Artist
• Art & Antiques
• Los Angeles Times
• California Light, A Century of Landscapes: Paintings of the California Art Club by Jean Stern and Molly Siple, Published by Skira Rizzoli, New York, 2011.
• Laguna Art Association
• California Art Club, Signature Member
• Pastel Society of America
• Oil Painters of America
• Pastel Society of America, Great American Artworks Award, 2001, New York City, NY
• Laguna Beach Plein-Air Invitational, Second Place, Laguna Beach, Ca, 2001
• Laguna Beach Plein-Air Invitational, Third Place, Laguna Beach, Ca, 2000
• Oil Painters of America, First Place-Landscape, 1993
• California Art Club's 86th Annual Gold Medal Exhibition, First Place
California landscape and figure painter Tim Solliday was born in 1952 and was inspired by his artist-father to begin painting. In the late 1980s he studied with early California Impressionist, Theodore N. Lukits (1897-1992). Solliday's style of painting is reminiscient of Taos Society of Artists painters William Herbert Dunton and Ernest Martin Hennings. Since honing his skills, Solliday's paintings have appeared in numerous prestigious group exhibitions, including at the Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art at Pepperdine University in Malibu, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, California Art Club's Gold Medal Juried Exhibitions, Autry National Center's Masters of the American West, The Prix de West, Carnegie Art Museum and Maynard Dixon Country Exhibition. Solliday's paintings are in the collections of important American and Western art enthusiasts.
** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at
The work of Tim Solliday is frequently featured in national publications, including Art of the West, Southwest Art, International Artist and American Artist. Art & Antiques magazine refered to Solliday as one of "California's top plein-air artists."
Tim Solliday is an honorary member of the Laguna Art Association and a Signature Member of the California Art Club.
Share an image of the Artist email@example.com.