Michael Obermeyer is active/lives in California. Michael Obermeyer is known for landscape and figure painting, illustrastion.
Biography from James J. Rieser Fine Art
A native of Southern California, Michael Obermeyer received a Bachelor
of Fine Arts in Illustration at California State University, Long
Beach. A twenty year career in illustration included works for
Disney Studios, the Anaheim Angels, McDonnell Douglas, Coldwell Banker,
and the United States Air Force.
** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at
Because of his illustration background, he is equally comfortable with the landscape and figure depictions.
Many of his paintings are in the U.S. Air Force Historical Art Collection in the Smithsonian Institute and the Pentagon.
He recently won the "Collector's Choice Award" at the Fifth Annual
Laguna Beach Invitational Plein Air Competition as well as the "Award
of Excellence" at the La Quinta Desert Plein Air and the Gold Medal at
the Carmel Art Festival.
Collectors include the Marriott Hotels and Resorts, The Irvine Company,
Taylor Woodrow Homes and many corporate as well as private commissions.
Obermeyer is a member of the Oil Painters of America, The
California Art Club, The Society of Illustrators, and a Signature
Member of the Laguna Plein Air Painters Association.
He maintains his studio in Laguna Beach, California, where he is also a regular exhibitor at the Festival of Arts..
an illustrator, I've always created art to fit others needs.
Painting, however, offers me the opportunity to create for myself, to
allow others to see how I perceive life around me, and to totally
escape from the real world for awhile. I enjoy painting outdoors
and working quickly. It keeps my paintings fresh and spontaneous. I
especially like to paint as much of the open space that I can, as it
seems to be rapidly disappearing.
When painting outdoors, en plein air, I must work quickly due to
the changing light. Therefore I have a limited palette of four to seven
colors. This orderly layout also enables me to mix clean, fresh color.
I try to find subject matter that fascinates me. Nature provides
the perfect balance of shape, value and color - the three elements that
I find most important in painting. It can be so satisfying and I feel
blessed for that."
Gregory Peck once said, 'I love my God, my wife, my family, and my
job. I am the damn luckiest man on earth.' As someone who
gets to paint for a living, that pretty much says it all for me.
EXHIBITIONS AND HONORS
• 2009 Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2009 LPAPA "Less is More" show - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2008 Balboa "Just Plein Fun" Exhibition - SECOND PLACE
• 2008 Orange County Heritage Exhibition - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2008 Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2008 California Art Club Gold Medal Juried Exhibition
• 2007 Ninth Annual Laguna Plein Air Invitational - FINE ART CONNOISSEUR AWARD
• 2007 Torrey Pines Plein Air Invitational
• 2007 Balboa "Just Plein Fun" Exhibition - FIRST PLACE-Brush Off
• 2007 Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - THIRD PLACE
• 2006 Fourth Annual Crystal Cove Gala and Coastal Splendor - FIRST PLACE
and BEST OF COVE AWARD
• 2006 Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2006 California Art Club Gold Medal Juried Exhibition
• 2006 Maui Plein Air Painting Invitational
• 2005 Oil Painters of America West/Southwest Juried Exhibition, Santa Barbara
• 2005 "Northern Views:Painting in the Plein Air Tradition" Juried Exhibition, Napa Valley Museum
• 2005 Group Show-"The Northern Coast" Trailside Galleries, Scottsdale, AZ
• 2004 "San Luis Obispo Plein Air Festival"-THIRD PLACE
• 2004 "The Spiritual Spectrum"-CAC Exhibit, The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angeles, Los Angeles
• 2004 Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition Exhibition, Kirkland, WA
• 2003 Group Show-"Canyon De Chelly Showcase", Trailside Galleries,Scottsdale, AZ
• 2003 "Sights of Southern California" Exhibition-Bowers Museum, Santa Ana
• 2003 Southwest Art Magazine-"Artists to Watch", September Issue
• 2003 California Art Club Gold Medal Juried Exhibition
• 2003 Fifth Annual Laguna Plein Air Invitational-COLLECTOR'S CHOICE AWARD
• 2003 Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2002 - Honorable Mention San Luis Obispo plein air painting festival
• 2002 - California Art Club - Gold Medal Show
• 2002 - Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Chicago
• 2001 - Charles B. Mitchell Vineyards Art Competition-AWARD OF MERIT
• 2001 - Painting selected as ARTIST'S POSTER for Laguna Beach Festival of Arts
• 2001 - "Echoes & Visions" Laguna Niguel Art Association-SECOND PLACE
• 2001 - La Quinta Desert Plein Air - AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
• 2000 - Laguna Beach Invitational Plein Aire Painting Competition
• 2000 - Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - HONORABLE MENTION
• 2000 - FEATURED ARTIST - Indian Wells Newsweek Tennis Masters Series
• 2000 - La Quinta Arts Festival
• 1999 - "Echoes & Visions" Laguna Niguel Art Association - FIRST PLACE
• 1999 - Millard Sheets Plein Air - HONORABLE MENTION - LA County Fair
• 1999 - Laguna Beach Invitational Plein Air Painting Competition
• 1999- Carmel Plein Air Painting Competition - FIRST PLACE
• 1999 - La Quinta Arts Foundation Inpressionaire - selected as POSTER ARTIST for Desert Plein Air 2000
•1998 - "California Coast", solo exhibition, Newport Beach City Hall Gallery
•1998 - Millard Sheets Plein Air - THIRD PLACE - LA County Fair
•1997-2009 - Laguna Beach Festival of Arts Exhibitor
ORGANIZATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
•Society of Illustrators, Los Angeles
•California Art Club
• Laguna Beach Plein Air Painters Association — Signature Member
• Oil Painters of America
Share an image of the Artist email@example.com.