Vladimir Davidovich Baranoff-Rossine
(1888 - 1944)
Vladimir Davidovich Baranoff-Rossine was active/lived in Russian Federation, France, Ukraine. Vladimir BaranoffRossine is known for avant-garde abstract, ribbon-shaped painting, polychrome sculpture.
Daniel Vladimir Baranoff-Rossiné was a contemporary, sometimes a compatriot and very often a close friend of some of the greatest famous artists of his time, such as Chagall, El Lissitsky, Kandinsky, Larionov, Gontcharova, Malevitch, Pevsner, Arp, Robert and Sonia Delaunay. He was more often than not a leader as far as art was concerned, and part of all pictorial trends of the beginning of the century. At the same time he was an inventive genius, interested in all art forms and techniques, from his Optophonic piano to his Pointillist camouflage of still and moving bodies, and including making fizzy drinks.
He studied successively at the Imperial Academy then at the Ecole Supérieure Technique. He exhibited at the first St. Petersburg Avant-Garde movement exhibitions under the name Wladimir Baranov.
From 1910, he worked in Paris, signing his work Daniel Rossiné. He exhibited at the 1913 and 1914 Salon des Indépendants, and became known for his sculptures. Guillaume Apollinaire called him a "French futurist".
Between 1915 and 1917, he visited Scandinavia, just like Pesvner, Gabo and Kandinsky. It was during this period that he conceived a new way of rolling up and unrolling colored ribbons to encapsulate space with multiple variations, akin to the German geometrician Moebius ribbon.
From 1917 onwards, the artist took the double-barreled name of Baranoff-Rossiné. The Twenties were split into two major periods, both as fruitful as each other. Firstly, a Russian period, following the October Revolution until 1925, during which he became increasingly preoccupied with color and movement, the subject of his lectures at Vkoutemas and of his Optophonic Piano. Secondly, a Parisian period during which he initially produced canvasses covered with sequences of pure shapes and then, towards 1930, used the fashionable curved shapes. Some of his work is reminiscent of budding surrealism, of which Hans Arp was one of the first to practise.
He lived in Paris until his death in 1944, designing new creations with flexible sequences and ribbon shapes, similar to his 1915 work.
1888 Born in Kherson (Ukraine - Russia)
1903-1907 Studied in Odessa (1903), then at the Imperial Academy of Beaux Arts in St. Petersburg.
1907-1910 Exhibited at the first historic exhibitions by the Russian avant-garde in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Kiev, regrouping artists, musicians and sculptors as a synthesis of all the arts. Baranoff continued to work within this ideal. His polychrome sculpture SYMPHONY Number 1 is now exhibited at the MoMA - Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
1910-1914 Worked in Paris under the name Daniel Rossiné. Continued to sculpt and exhibited at the Salon des Indépendants. Assumes the conquest of cubism then of futuristic dynamism. Has numerous artistic contacts and is particularly friendly with Robert and Sonia Delaunay with whom he keeps in touch until his disappearance. He affirms his originality with his Symphony No. 2, a polychrome sculpture made of « paradoxal assemblies » that is widely criticized but brings him to the attention of Guillaume Apollinaire. Part of the School of Paris. Set up his studio in La Ruche, where he met Archipenko, Chagall, Dobrinsky, Soutine, and Zadkine. He also attended the Paris soirées given by the Baronne d'Oettinen and Serge Ferat where they welcomed the Russian and French avant garde including Exter, Gontcharova, Larinova, Survage, Max Jacob and the art critic André Salmon.
1915-1917 Traveled to Scandinavia. Voyage en Norvège. One-man exhibition in Kristiana (Oslo, Norway) in 1916, and also in Stockholm, where he used his optophonic piano. He invented a new plastic principle to apprehend reality, based on the use of the Moebius ribbon.
1917-1922 Takes the double-barreled name of Baranoff-Rossiné. Returned to Russia after the February 1917 Revolution where he was part of the Artistic Revolution. He married his first wife in 1919 but she died in childbirth in 1920 in Moscow to his first son, Eugène (1920-1997). In 1918 Baranoff-Rossine set up an Art Workshop in a room in the former St. Petersburg Academy.
1923-1924 Married Pauline Cemionovna Boukour (1900 - 1979). Pursuing his chromatic research, he achieves his dream of combining sound, color and shape in building the famous Optophonic piano : striking the keys triggers the movements of colored records. Dispersed after the war, it was rebuilt by his son Dimitri and is currently kept at the National Modern Art Museum in Paris. In 1924, he gave two piano optophonic concerts, with his wife Pauline, at the Meyerhold theatre and Bolchoï (Moscow).
1925-1939: Left Russia with his wife Pauline and his son Eugène to come to France. Founded the first optophonic academy in 1927 and pursued his audiovisual research work. Birth in Paris of his 2nd son, Michel in 1928, who died accidentally in 1935, and of his daughter Tatiana in 1934. His son Eugène left his family in 1936 at the age of 16, to return after his father's death. His Polytechnic Sculpture (Sculpture Polytechnique) provoked the sarcasm of the press but this sculpture is currently exhibited at the National Modern Art Museum in Paris.
1939-1941 Continuously experimenting, Baranoff-Rossiné applied the art of color to military art with the technique of camouflage or the Cameleon process and this was marketed with Robert Delaunay. Baranoff-Rossine also invented a "Photochromometer" that allowed the determination of the qualities of precious stones. In another field, he perfected a machine that made, sterilized and distributed fizzy drinks, the "Multiperco", and this received several technical awards at the time.
1942 Birth of his third son Dimitri in Paris.
1944 Disappeared during the 2nd World War.