(1906 - 1995)
Nan Youngman was active/lived in England. Nan Youngman is known for landscape painting.
Nan Youngman was born in Maidstone in 1906 and trained at the Slade School of Art from 1924–27. Needing to finance her career as an artist by teaching, she went on to the London Day Training College. There she was taught by Marion Richardson, who introduced her to Roger Fry and awakened her interest in children's art.
From 1929 until 1944 she divided her time between painting and teaching; she lectured for the London County Council, gave practical art classes for schoolteachers and taught part-time. The organization of exhibitions became an important part of her strategy for increasing children's awareness of art.
At the outbreak of war, she was evacuated with the children of Highbury Hill School where she was teaching to Huntingdon. With Betty Rea, the sculptor, Rea's two boys, and three children of an enlisted friend, she set up house, first in Godmanchester and later at 'Papermills' in Cambridge. In 1944 she became art adviser to Cambridgeshire under Henry Morris.
Nan Youngman became chairman of the Society for Education through Art in 1945 and published her ideas in articles for Athene (the Society for Education in Art journal), the New Era in Home and School and the Education Journal. Through the SEA she initiated a remarkable series of exhibitions of contemporary art for sale to education authorities called "Pictures for Schools". The first took place in 1947 at the Victoria and Albert Museum and these continued annually at the Whitechapel Gallery and elsewhere until 1969.
In the 1950s Youngman traveled as lecturer in art education for the British Council to the West Indies, Malta and Ghana, but now devoted more time to painting. Through setting up a Welsh series of Pictures for Schools exhibitions Youngman discovered the landscape of south Wales, which provided the subject of much of her strongest work. During the mid-1960s she moved to Waterbeach in the Fens when her landscapes grew in subtlety. Nan Youngman was awarded the OBE in 1987.