(1869 - 1963)
Adolph Robert Shulz was active/lived in Wisconsin, Indiana. Adolph Shulz is known for landscape, portrait, figure.
A key figure in the development of the Brown County, Indiana artist colony, Adolph Shulz arrived there in 1900 and is generally considered to be the "father" of that group of painters. He is known for his landscapes and also did portraiture.
He was born in Delavan, Wisconsin and studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, the Art Students League in New York with William Merritt Chase, and in Paris. He returned to Delavan many summers to paint. Around 1900, he began trips to Nashville, Indiana, and he eventually moved there with his family in 1917.
From 1925 to 1942, he exhibited at the Hoosier Salon and also exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago, Milwaukee Art Institute, and the Brown County Gallery Association.
Peter Falk, "Who Was Who in American Art"
Rachel Perry, 'The Paintings of Ada Walter Shulz', "American Art Review", February 1998
Adolph Shulz (1869-1963)
Regarded as the artist who discovered Brown County, Indiana, Adolph Shulz originally hailed from Delavan, Wisconsin, where he was born in 1869. Shulz first ventured into art by learning from his father how to sketch what he saw outdoors. Shulz's formal studies included the Art Institute of Chicago and the Art Students League in New York with William Merritt Chase and Henry Siddons Mowbray. In 1892, he met fellow student Ada Walter in Delavan as she participated in a summer art class from the Art Institute of Chicago. The couple married two years later and ventured to Paris for additional studies. Shulz attended classes at the Académie Julian and Académie Colarossi taught by Jules LeFebvre, Benjamin Constant, and Paul Laurens. In 1895, Shulz and his wife found individual studios in Munich where they lived for a few months before returning to Wisconsin after the birth of their son.
In Wisconsin, Shulz made a good living painting landscapes. He actively involved himself in the community, but soon sought new surroundings in which to live and paint. He read about Brown County, Indiana, in a newspaper article and first visited in 1900. After several trips to Indiana beginning in 1908, the family finally settled there permanently in 1917. Throughout his career, Shulz continued to exhibit and win awards, teach, and serve as an exhibition juror. In 1926, he and Ada divorced and he married one of his students, Alberta. Even though they were no longer a couple, Ada and Adolph both became charter members of the Brown County Art Gallery Association that same year. Shulz remained active in the community for the rest of his life and even donated land for a gallery in 1939. He expanded his teaching with two years at the Ringling School of Art in Sarasota, Florida.