(born 1935 or 39)
Richard D. Thomas is active/lives in Montana, California. Richard Thomas is known for cowboy-Indian genre, landscape.
Biography from the Archives of askART
Western painter Richard D. Thomas was raised in a small town in the San Joaquin Valley of California. He was 30 before he began painting as a hobby while working as a high-tech defense equipment contractor. After his marriage ended and he lost his job due to a plant closing, he began painting full time. Thomas is a self-taught artist who spent years perfecting his skills and showing his work at hotels, shopping malls and convention centers.
Biography from Trailside Galleries
The artist eventually found success and his paintings hang in major private collections and have been exhibited at many shows including Masters of the American West at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles and Western Visions at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyoming.
Today Thomas is remarried, and after 23 years in Colorado is living in Montana. He finds his inspiration and subjects in the scenic landscape and the state's rich Native American History. Thomas researches his subjects thoroughly, spending a lot of his time observing and interacting with locals. "I pretty much paint only that which I can experience myself," states Thomas in the June 2002 issue of Southwest Art. This approach is what makes Thomas' western paintings fresh and genuine.
Source: "Southwest Art Magazine", June 2002
Richard D. Thomas, b. California, (United States)
** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at
Richard D. Thomas gets inspiration for his landscapes and background for his western paintings from the lifestyle he has lived in California, Colorado and his current home in Montana. Commissioned in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1962, serving in Vietnam in 1965, Thomas has been a professional artist since the 70's. Thomas is nationally recognized for his images of contemporary working cowboys, western landscapes, cow ponies and Native American warriors. An outdoor painter, he immerses himself completely in his subject matter, becoming a part of what is conveyed on the canvas
• Arizona State University, 1961
• Autry National Center, Masters of the American West, Los Angeles, CA, 2007-2014
• National Museum of Wildlife Art, Western Visions, Jackson, WY,
• Artists of America Show, Denver, CO
• Arts for the Parks, 1987, 1988
• Art of the West, January/February, 2012
• Western Art Collector, April, 2011
• Art of the West, April, 2009
• Art of the West, July/August, 2003
• Southwest Art, June, 2002
• Art of the West, April, 2001
Scholarships, Awards & Honors
• C.M. Russell Art Auction, Best of Show, Great Falls, MT, 2007
• Autry National Center, Masters of the American West, Purchase Award, Los Angeles, CA, 2000
• National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Prix De West Purchase award, Oklahoma City, OK, 1990
• National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Robert Lougheed Award, Oklahoma City, OK 1996
• Autry National Center, Masters of the American West, Thomas Moran Gold Medal, Los Angeles, CA, 1999
• Arts for the Parks, Regional Winner, 1988
• National Museum of Wildlife Art, Jackson, WY
• National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City, OK
Share an image of the Artist email@example.com.