Franklyn Harold Hayward (1867 - 1945)
Hayward was born in Romeo, Michigan, but grew up in Mount Clemens. He opened his own studio over a Mount Clemens store after graduating from high school in 1884. The label "Artist" was placed confidently over the store. He studied under the Detroit artist, William B. Conely (1830-1911) while he maintained his studio. His studio work proved profitable enough for Hayward to further his studies with John Vanderpoel and Oliver D. Grover at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1889, 1892 and 1893.
Hayward continued painting in Mount Clemens until 1898 when he went abroad and studied with James McNeill Whistler for three years in Paris. He also studied with Jean-Paul Laurens and Jean Joseph Benjamin Constant at the Julian Academy. Hayward also traveled and studied elsewhere in Europe before returning to this country.
Most of his work thereafter was in Detroit where he opened the Hayward Academy of Fine Arts in 1923. He taught painting and charcoal sketching at the Elmwood and Kronk Recreational Center in Detroit beginning in 1939 under the Federal Artists Project. Hayward is best known for his portraits, but he also painted hunting and fishing subjects, landscapes, still lifes, did illustrations, and also sculpted.
Although he lived well into the twentieth century, Hayward disliked modern painting which he found displeasing aesthetically, inaccurate in representation and weak in coloring. This is somewhat surprising in view of Hayward's admiration for Whistler, the man who established the rights of modern artists in the famous Ruskin-Whistler litigation on libel in 1878.
His exhibitions include the Paris Salon (1900), the Royal Academy of England (London, 1901), the Pan-American Exposition (St. Louis, 1904).
Biographical information from the exhibition catalog: Early Michigan Paintings, Michigan State University, 1976.
Submitted by Edward Bentley, researcher of Lansing, Michigan