Sarah Jackson (AKA: Sarah Jeanette Sherman) was a sculptor, painter, graphic artist, print maker and educator. She was born in Detroit, Michigan and died in Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada where she had lived since 1963. She has also lived and worked in Mexico City (1948); in Paris, France and London, England (1949 to 1956); and in Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa, Canada (1956 -1963).
Her mediums include bronze, plaster, wax, fiberglass, ceramics, found objects, Mail Art (see AskART glossary), Styrofoam, the computer, pen and ink, colored ink, watercolor, oil, the photocopier, copier art books, assemblage and mixed mediums. Her subjects are social commentary, mythology, human relationships, women, dancers, animals, allegory, figures, faces, heads, spatial relationships, color, texture and shape. Her styles include Expressionism, Fauvism, Surrealism and Op Art. Quote:“ I move laterally, a linear extension, exploring space for its definition….” – Sarah Jackson.
She received a B.A. (1946) and M.A. (1948) from Wayne State University, Detroit. She has lectured on sculpture at Mexico City College (1948); the Tate Gallery, London (1955-56); the Thomas More Institute, Montreal (1957); the University of Toronto, Ontario (1960); and St. Mary’s University, Halifax (1963-64).
Jackson has been exhibiting continuously since a 1949 show at the Musee des Beaux Arts, Paris. The venues for her solo and group shows have included Galerie Apollinaire, London England (1951); the Whitechapel Art Gallery, London (1956); the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (1960, 64); the Art Gallery of Toronto* (1960 and three times in 1961); Roberts Gallery, Toronto (1961); the Albright - Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, N.Y. (1962); Museum London, Ontario (1962); the Vancouver Art Gallery, B.C. (1962); Dalhousie University Art Gallery, Halifax (1964, 69); the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Manitoba (1964); St. Mary’s University Art Gallery, Halifax (1973); the National Gallery of Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C. (1987); the Vasarely Museum, Budapest, Hungary (1991, 92, 94); and the Canadian Museum of Civilization, Gatineau, Quebec (1992).
She has also exhibited in: Madrid, Spain (1963); Barcelona, Spain (1963); the “International Exhibition of Visual Poetry”, Sao Paulo, Brazil (1988); Milan, Italy (1989); “Copier Books” Minneapolis, U.S.A. (1990); Inverness, Scotland (1993); the “1st Biennale Art Electro-Images” Berlin, Germany (1994); the “International Copy Art Expo”, Seoul, Korea (1995); Linz, Austria (1996); the “International Mail Art Projekt”, Frankfurt, Germany (1998); “ComputerKunst ‘98", Dresden, Germany (1998); the first and second “Mini-Graphic & Painting International Biennial”, Pisa, Italy (1999, 2000); “Notes to Kanata”, Reykjavik, Iceland (1999); and “1/2000”, Chauny, France (2000).
In 2001 the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (Halifax) had a major retrospective of her work titled “Spirit Journey/ Bodies of Work”.
Her art is in many private, corporate and public collections. The public collections include the National Gallery of Canada (Ottawa), the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Robert McLaughlin Gallery (Oshawa, Ontario), the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia (Halifax), the Smithsonian American Art Museum (Washington, D.C.) and the Canadian Museum of Civilization (Gatineau, Quebec). The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (Washington, D.C.) has 43 of her works in its collection including numerous bronzes, ink drawings and paintings. Her limited edition copy art book Drawing Celebration is also in the library collection of the Museum of Modern Art (NYC). Other book editions are in the National Gallery of Canada, the National Museum of Women (Washington, D.C.) and the Victoria and Albert Museum (London, England).
She is listed in A Dictionary of Canadian Artists (1974), by Colin S. MacDonald and in Art and Architecture in Canada (1991), by Loren R. Lerner and Mary F. Williamson.
There is also the 1980 National Film Board of Canada documentary produced by Ramona MacDonald titled “Sarah Jackson”.
* In 1966 it was renamed the Art Gallery of Ontario.
Prepared and contributed by M.D. Silverbrooke