|This biography from the Archives of AskART:|
|John Lounsbery (March 9, 1911 - February 13, 1976) was an American animator who worked for The Walt Disney Company. He is best known as one of Disney's Nine Old Men.|
He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and raised in Colorado. He attended East Denver High School and the Art Institute of Denver. While attending the Art Center School of Design in Los Angeles, an instructor sent him to interview with Walt Disney.
Lounsbery was hired by Disney on July 2, 1935, beginning as an assistant animator on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. He went on to work on numerous other short features in the 1940s, while continuing to serve as part of the animating team on nearly all of Disney's most famous feature-length animated films. In the 1970s, he was promoted to director and co-directed Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too! and The Rescuers.
John Lounsbery died on February 13, 1976 in Los Angeles, California of heart failure during heart surgery at aged 64. At the time of his death, he was working on the The Rescuers and still animating at the Walt Disney Studios. He was named a Disney Legend in 1989.
He was animation director for:
• Dumbo (1941)
• Song of the South (1946)
• The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
• Alice in Wonderland (1951)
• Peter Pan (1953)
• Ben and Me (1953)
• Lady and the Tramp (1955)
• Sleeping Beauty (1959)
• Goliath II (1960)
• One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
• The Sword in the Stone (1963)
• The Jungle Book (1967)
• Robin Hood (1973)
• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Assistant to Norm Ferguson on Witch
• Pinocchio - J. Worthington Foulfellow and Gideon
• Fantasia - Hiacynth Hippo and Ben Ali Gator in "Dance of the Hours"
• Dumbo -Dumbo and Timothy Mouse
• Make Mine Music - Wolf in Peter and the Wolf, "Willie the Operatic Whale"
• Fun and Fancy Free - Willie the Giant
• Melody Time-"Once Upon a Wintertime", "Blame on the Samba", "Pecos Bill"
• The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad- Ichabod Crane
• Cinderella- Mice transformed into horses, The King and Grand Duke
• Alice in Wonderland- Flowers, Caterpillar, Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter
• Peter Pan - George Darling, Captain Hook, Indians
• Ben and Me- Thomas Jefferson
• Lady and the Tramp - Tony, Joe, Bull
• Sleeping Beauty - King Hubert, King Stefan, Goons
• Goliath II - Goliath II, his Father and Mother and the Elephants
• One Hundred and One Dalmatians - Colonel, Jasper and Horace Badun
• The Jungle Book - Colonel Hathi, Winifred, Junior, bugler elephant, and other elephants, King Louie, Baloo
• The Aristocats - Edgar, Georges Hautecourt, Madame Bonfamille
• Robin Hood - Tournament Crocodile
• The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - Owl, Eeyore, and Gopher
|** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at registrar@AskART.com.|