|This biography from the Archives of AskART:|
|Please note: Artists not classified as American in our database may have limited biographical data
compared to the extensive information about American artists.|
Sergio de Castro was an Argentine naturalized French painter, born in Buenos Aires on 15 September 1922 and died in Paris on December 31, 2012.
With Argentine parents of Spanish origin (Basque and Galician), Sergio de Castro lived in western Switzerland from 1923-1932, and he spent seven years in Argentina, 1942-1949. In 1979, he became a naturalized French citizen. He is a descendant of the Fernández de Castro family of the nobility of Galicia.
• 1933-1942: High school of architecture and music, Montevideo (disciple of Joaquín Torres García ).
• 1941-1949: Assistant to Manuel de Falla
• 1945-1946: French government scholarship
• 1949-1950: Moved to Paris in November 1949
• Since 1951, he has devoted himself exclusively to painting
• Price Hallmark in New York (1960)
• 39th Venice Biennale Pavilion of Argentina (1980)
• Associate Professor at the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Strasbourg (1981-1986)
• Knight in the Order of Arts and Letters (1979)
• The Creation of the World - 6 m long and 20 m wide, for the church of the Benedictine monastery of the Holy Sacrament Couvrechef , Caen from 1956 to 1958 - this work was carried out in workshops JJK RAY 1898-1979), painter and master glassmaker in Paris
• Redemption - 4.5 m high by 17 m wide, for Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Kirche in Hamburg Dulsberg, 1968-1969
• The Prophets - Five brilliant windows 1434 - for the Notre Dame of the Assumption of Romont , Fribourg, Switzerland, from 1978 to 1981.
• He realized in 1944 two murals for constructive Martirené flag of Saint-Bois hospital in Montevideo (Torres García and his students).
• In 1982, a mural for the library of the Yonne to Saint-Georges-sur-Baulche , Auxerre.
• In 1987-1989, he decorated the lobby of the company Atochem in Paris-La Défense, with a set of five murals and a mobile sculpture.
"Sergio Castro", Wikipedia (translation) //fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_de_Castro
|** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at registrar@AskART.com.|