|This biography from the Archives of AskART:|
|Jody Folwell, born at the Santa Clara Pueblo, is the mother of potters Susan Folwell and Polly Rose Folwell. She is one of the most important of the avant-garde potters of our time, experimenting with abstraction, composition, movement, themes and textures. Her pottery defies the classic styles of Santa Clara Pueblo, while remaining true to the materials and firing techniques. |
Because of her work with different slips and firing techniques, her polished pieces take on different colors, shades, and textures all within the same piece of pottery. She consistently finds new ways to draw attention to controversial political and social issues through her remarkably plainspoken pots, which are never meant to serve utilitarian purposes but to exist solely as works of art. Jody's pottery can be found in museums around the country and her work has been featured in numerous books.
?Jody is the daughter of Rose Naranjo, sister of Dr. Rina Swentzell, Dr. Tessie Naranjo,Professor Tito Naranjo, sculptor Michael Naranjo, potter Dolly Naranjo, sculptor Nora Naranjo-Morse and potter Edna Romero. She is the aunt of sculptor Roxanne Swentzell and potters Jody Naranjo, Dusty Naranjo and Forrest Naranjo.
• 1993 - Third Place, non-traditional, sgrafito w/o stones, any color except black, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1988 - Second Place, miscellaneous, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1985 - Best of Show, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1984 - Best of Division, non-traditional, new forms, innovations, hero pot, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1984 - First Place, Jars and Vases, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1983 - First Place, non-traditional, new forms, innovations, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1981 - Best of Class, Best of Division,First Place, non-traditional, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1979 - First Place and 2 Second Places, Heard Museum Indian Art Fair
• 1978 - First Place, Santa Fe Indian Market
• 1975 - First Place, contemporary and new forms, (Most Creative Design in Any Classification) Santa Fe Indian Art Market
|** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at registrar@AskART.com.|