The following material was submitted by Simon Chiu in July of 2006:
The daughter of a British father and a Canadian mother, Frances was born in Clyde, New York, on November 6, 1888. She grew up in England, studying at Oxford and continuing at the Slade School of Art in London, with Sir Henry Tonks. Geddes went to Ontario, Canada, where she studied at the Ontario College of Art in Toronto with George Agnew Reid and John William Beatty, and later went to the Art Students League in New York to study with Kenneth Hayes Miller and Dimitri Romanoffski. She taught for two years at the Ontario College of Art and traveled in Europe, Canada and the U.S.
Circa 1923 she and her husband, the photographer Lewis John Geddes moved to Los Angeles, California. After five years there, they moved to San Diego, where in 1930 they established their studio in the Old Town section. Geddes began making her own frames and from there developed a passion for crafting, among others, jewelry and jewelry boxes.
She exhibited extensively in the San Diego area in the 1930s, winning a Leisser-Farnham Memorial Prize at the San Diego Art Guild, for her portrait of Dr. Edward L. Hardy, president of the San Diego State College. She exhibited jewelry at the California Pacific Exposition in 1935 and was teaching painitng classes at the Art Center in La Jolla in the 1940s. Frances Mildred Geddes died in Petaluma on October 31, 1947.
Source: San Diego Historical Society