Clara Moore Howard was the daughter of George Henry Howard (1848-1936) and Eva Reeve Howard (1854-1939). She lived for part of her life on the family homestead on Love Lane, Mattituck, steps from the Caroline M. Bell studio. Clara M. Howard married local realtor Arthur J. Fitzpatrick about 1945. She was a cousin of Marguerite Moore Hawkins, who was also a close friend and painting companion.
Howard participated in many exhibitions with the Peconic Bay Impressionists including those at Guild Hall, East Hampton, Long Island Museum at Stony Brook and at the Parrish Art Museum in Southampton. She also traveled with the group to Gloucester and participated in exhibitions at the North Shore Arts Assn. and the Gloucester Society of Artists. Howard was a Charter member of the Old Town Arts & Crafts Guild, Cutchogue where she participated in exhibitions with other members of the group. She also partook in the Southold Tercentenary exhibition. She may have also been a relation of Lucille Howard, an important female artist and member of “The Philadelphia Ten”, who occasionally visited the North Fork of Long Island.