The following information was submitted by Don Mikel, former Chair of the Heritage Committee of Cobourg, Ontario.
Gerald Sinclair Hayward was the brother of Alfred Fredrick William
Hayward 1856-1939 (also in the AskART inventory) and was born near Port
Hope, Ontario. He was a well known miniaturist in his day and painted
many society figures in Canada, US and Europe.
His miniatures have been collected by Canadian Billionaire Kenneth
Thomson who built the Frank Gehry addition to the Art Gallery of Ontario
and also donated Ruben's Massacre of the Innocents.
This is a quote from another website: "Gerald Sinclair Hayward
(1845-1926) was born in Port Hope, Ontario, but moved to New York at a
young age. He spent the majority of his professional career in New York,
but also worked in London, England between 1879-1883.
He painted many notable figures in the U.S., Britain, Germany, and
Russia. Hayward's miniature works can be found in various public
institutions, including the Smithsonian American Art Collection,
The Haywards were a distinguished British gentry family who
emigrated to Canada in the 1830s. In 1845 near Port Hope, they built a large house, which is still there and was visited in 1860 by the Duke of
Buckingham and the Prince of Wales when they came
to open Victoria Hall in the nearby town of Cobourg, Ontario. The
Haywards also donated to St Peter's church Cobourg a painting attributed
to Van Dyke. Their mother Caroline was also an accomplished artist.