The following information was submitted in August of 2006 by Griffin's Gallery:
Marian D. Harris (Married Robert M. Barton) 1904-1988.
She lived in Wilmington, Delaware from 1927-1932, and died in 1988 in Ventnor, New Jersey. She studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts from 1922-1926 and at the PAFA's summer school at Chester Springs, PA in 1921-24 and in 1932. She was awarded the Cresson traveling scholarship in 1925. In 1926 she studied with Hugh Breckenridge at the Summer School of Art in East Gloucester, MA in 1926. She then studied with Wayman Adams in Elizabethtown, NJ in 1933, 1935, and 1938. She was a fellow at the PAFA. She was a member of the American Watercolor Society; Cultural Arts Center in Ocean City, NJ; The Plastic Club; the Wilmington Society of Fine Art; and the American Artists Professional League. She was President of the League of South Jersey Artists in 1960-1961. She was President of the Atlantic City Arts Club in 1965-1966.
Her work was highly exhibited. Her exhibits include, the PAFA 1927-28 & 1932; National Academy of Design Annual, 1932; Art Institute of Chicago Invitational International Watercolor Exhibit, 1935; American Watercolor Society Annual 1946 and 1952; the Newark Museum Triennial, NJ 1964; Rochester Memorial Art Gallery; Toledo Museum of Art; the Wilmington Fine Art Society (prize, 1930); The Philadelphia Art Club; Philadelphia Plastic Club; the Worlds Fair New York in 1939; Harrisburg, PA; and the Charles Berolino Gallery, West Berlin, NJ in the 1970's.
Her work can be found at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NJ; and the Philadelphia Art Alliance; Gov. Bacon Hospital in Delaware; The YWCA in Wilmington, DE. She worked in various media including oils, watercolor, conte, and pastels. She was a painting instructor at the Wilmington, Delaware Academy of Art from 1927-1932, and 1936-37; and then again at Atlantic City Friends School, 1956-57. She lectured in art appreciation at the Jewish Community Center in Margate, NJ in 1959. She was an art consultant for the Division of War Training in 1944.