|This biography from the Archives of AskART:|
|The following biographical information is from the CanadianWomen Artists History Initiative:|
- Medicine Hat, Alberta, 1912
- Calgary, Alberta, 1998
- Biography synopsis
For the most part a self taught artist, Janet Mitchell studied at night
at the Institute of Technology and Art, Calgary, and attended summer
workshops at the Banff School of Fine Arts where in 1959 she studied
with Gordon Smith. Her worked was influenced by the Group of Seven. She
was mainly a watercolour artist but also worked in oil. From 1949 she
exhibited in a number of solo exhibitions in Calgary and Toronto. Her
work is held at the National Gallery of Canada as well as in some
university collections. She was a member of the Alberta Society of
Artists and Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour.
- Media used
- Banff School of Fine Arts, 1942 - ?
- University of Saskatchewan, 1961 - ?
- Calgary Institute of Technology and Art
- Alberta Society of Artists
- Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour
- 3rd International Contemporary Art Exhibition 1957: Delhi, Ahmedebad, Hyderabad, Calcutta, and Amritsar. New Delhi: Fine Arts and Crafts Society, 1957.
- Exhibition and Sale of Works by Leading Canadian Artists from Coast to Coast. Ottawa: National Council of Jewish Women of Canada, 1962.
- Glenbow Museum. Janet Mitchell: A Retrospective Exhibition. Calgary: Glenbow Museum, 1977.
- Greenberg, Clement. "Clement Greenberg's View of Art on the Prairies." Canadian Art 20.2 (1984): 96.
- Hubbard, R. H. The National Gallery of Canada Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. Ottawa: Published for the Trustees by University of Toronto Press, 1957.
- Laviollette, Mary-Beth. "The Alberta Foundation for the Arts Collection." Artichoke 13.2 (Summer 2001): 16-23.
- MacDonald, Colin S.. The Dictionary of Canadian Artists. (Volumes 1-8 by Colin S. MacDonald, and volume 9 by Anne Newlands and Judith Parker) Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 2009
Masters Gallery. Janet Mitchell R.C.A.: A Celebration of Her Life and Art. Calgary: Masters Gallery, 1999.
- National Gallery of Canada. First Biennial Exhibition of Canadian Painting, 1955. Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1955.
- Paulson, Margaret. Janet Mitchell, Life and Art. Winnipeg: Hyperion Press, 1990.
- Twardowski, Astrid. "Janet Mitchell at the Calgary Allied Arts Centre." Canadian Art 20 (1963): 205.
|** If you discover credit omissions or have additional information to add, please let us know at registrar@AskART.com.|