James Pinto was born in Bijelina, Yugoslavia in 1907. After studying
art in Zagreb he made his way to the U.S in the late 1940’s. He studied
briefly at Chouinard Art School* in Los Angeles before heading to Mexico with his
wife Ruska to study mural painting in Mexico with David Siqueiros and Jean Charlot.
In the late 1940’s, Pinto was studying at Escuela de Bellas Artes in San
Miguel when a dispute erupted between Siqueiros and the school’s
owner. Pinto and a number of other students were deported from San
Miguel to the U.S. but were able to return thanks to a student of artist
Reva Brooks, General Ignacio Beteta.
After their return Pinto, together with Nell and Enrique Fernandez and
Stirling Dickson founded the art school Insititute de Allende* where he
continued to teach, as well as paint and do murals. Other than works in
private collections, the majority of his paintings are owned by the
University of Guanajuato.
He died in San Miguel in 1987.
Source: Annex Gallery
* For more in-depth information about these terms and others, see AskART.com Glossary http://www.askart.com/AskART/lists/Art_Definition.aspx