The following information was submitted in March of 2006 by Robert Brewer. It is the result of his correspondence with Thomas Beckman, the one-time historian at the Historical Society of Delaware, who compiled a biography for the artist. Mr. Beckman died on May 23, 2003, according to his obituary in the Wilmington News Journal of May 24, 2003:
Alfred Thompson Scott was the son of Levi Scott, the Methodist Episcopal Bishop of Delaware. Believed to be largely self-taught, Scott may have received some formal training in New York, where his father moved to in the late 1840s, followed by several years in Philadelphia.
His earliest known artwork is a view of a Methodist camp meeting ten miles South of Wilmington in August of 1853. Scott's sketch was reproduced as a hand colored lithograph, and by April of 1854, he had become the partner of daguerreotypist Nelson Carlisle. The partnership dissolved in circa 1856, and Scott opened a drawing and painting academy in the same building. The city directories of 1857 list him at that location as an artist. He married Rebecca Pinkerton in 1856, and they had seven children.
Struggling as an artist, he too became a Methodist Episcopal minister, but in 1870 he accepted the position of Instructor of drawing and painting at Wilmington's Wesleyan Female College. He continued painting, and a wooded area on the Brandywine River just above the bridge at Wilmington became his principal subject.
From 1881 to 1913 he edited and published The Christian Companion, a non-denominational weekly newspaper, always returning to paint at what is now Brandywine Park.