Deborah Jane Chapin
Lived/Active: Maryland / France
Known for: Seascape, Marine, Landscape, figurative
Style(s): Plein Air, Realist, Contemporary
Medium(s): Oil, Charcoal, Pencil
Price Information as of 02/15/2012:
Originals Run from $1500 smaller sketches to $20,000 larger plein air oils currently and are sold exclusively through the studio http://www.deborahchapin.com or Mystic Maritime Gallery. Giclees are available through http://www.store.deborahchapin.com
Please send me Alert Updates for Deborah Jane Chapin (free)
What is an alert list?
No Contest, 30x20 plein air oil, linen canvas, Brittany Series, Deborah Chapin
| || |
Blue Indigo, 21x34 plein air oil, linen canvas, Brittany Series, Deborah Chapin
National Academy of Design, NYC 1991
· Paint America touring exhibition, St. George Art Museum, St. George, UT July- September 2007, 2008.
· CM Russell Art Auction, CM Russell Museum, Great Falls, MT - March 2007
· NAPA Valley Museum, Arts for the Parks 2004, Yountville, California - June-September 2005
· Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon Association, Arts for the Parks 2004, Grand Canyon, Arizona - April-June 2005
· Booth Western Art Museum, Arts for the Parks 2004, Cartersville, Georgia - December 2004- February 2005
· Ketterer Kunst Hamburg, 17th- 20th Century Marine art - 252. Auction, - Sept 2000. (see KettererPresscatalogue.htm and KetterKunstCatalogue.html
· Louvre - Salon de Société Nationale des Beaux Arts, Paris - June 1999, 2000, 2001
· Meridian International Center, One-Person Exhibition -1997, 1992.
· Grand Palais , Paris, France - 1994, 1993, 2003.
· Colorado Historical Museum, "Artists of America Exhibition", Denver, CO - 1988. (catalogues published)
· Maryland Historical Museum, Baltimore, MD - 1989.
· San Diego Maritime Museum, One-Person Exhibit - 1988.
· Carnegie Art Museum, One-Person Exhibit – 1988.
· Ventura County Maritime Museum, One-Person Exhibit. 1988.
· Mariners Museum, Fremantle, Western Australia - 1986.
Selected Other Exhibitions
· Mystic International - Mystic Seaport - Mystic, Connecticut - September 2007, 1985, 1984, 1983
· Paint America - The Natural World Observed - N.A.P.P.A.P. National Exhibition - Texas Art Gallery - Dallas, Texas - February 2007
· Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, Charleston, SC February 2005- 2008.
· The Natural World Observed - N.A.P.P.A.P. National Exhibition - Elkhorn Gallery - Winterpark, Colorado - June 2006 Ella Carothers Dunnegan Gallery - Bolivar, Missouri - March 2005
· The Natural World Observed - N.A.P.P.A.P. National Exhibition - National Arts Club - New York - September 2005
· Arts for the Parks Top 100 and Finalist, Art West Gallery and Jackson Lake Lodge Jackson Lake Lodge, Jackson Hole, W - September - December 2001, 2004.
· National Arts Club - Gregg Gallery, One-Person Exhibition, New York - September 1998, 2003, 2005
· Audubon Naturalist Society, One-Person Exhibitions - 1992, 1994, 1995, 2002.
· Northwest Marine Art Exhibition, Kirsten Gallery - 2002, 2004, 2006.
· Impressions of New England - Bennington VT - 2002, 2003.
· Beaux Arts Bash, Scottsdale Artist School, Scottsdale, AZ - 2001-2008.
· Southern Vermont Art Center, One Person Exhibition - June, 2000.
· Annual Exhibiting Artist Members’ Exhibition, National Arts Club, 1998-2006.
· Salmagundi Open, Salmagundi Club, NYC - 1996. Grand National, American Artists Professional League, Salmagundi Club, NYC - 1995.
· Baku, Azerbaijan (formerly in USSR), American Embassy-1995-98.
· Bogota, Colombia, American Embassy -1995-98. (Catalog Published) Sanaa, Yemen, American Embassy - 1995-98.
· Quito, Ecuador, American Embassy - 1993-96. United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, American Embassy - 1992-95. (Catalog Published)
· National Arts Club
· National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters (founder)
· Artist Fellowship Artist
· Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts
Lectures/Books and Magazine Publications
· biographical sketch is featured in the: Allgemeines Kunstlerlexikon (dictionary of artists), published by Saur in Leipzig, GE v. 15; fall 1997 which is the standard for reference of museum’s worldwide. It is a complete and exact biographical data spanning the entire world-wide spectrum of arts from antiquity up to present with over 300,000 artists and a selection of exhibitions by these artists based on the structured data of the encyclopedia Thieme-Becker and Vollmer (the predecessors of the AKL) complete from a to z and the structured data of the AKL as the printed version goes on. currently from a to "campagnari". data from Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon, published in printed form by K. G. Saur Verlag.
· Smithsonian American Art Museum, Invited to Lecture/DVD Demo on Plein Air Painting, Sea & Surf en Plein Air, Washington, DC, October 2007.
· CM Russell Musem, Charles M Russell Museum catalog Exhibition/Auction, Montana, p 19, 63, 2007.
· Chesapeake Life, January 2007, Shorelines Feature p29. Review of - "On Location" by R. Mcdaniel, 2005.
· Gerlinde de Beer (auth), monograph, Ludolf Backhuysen, p.56, 2001.
Who's Who in American Art, 24th - 28th edition 2001-2009. The Artists Blue Book, bibliography summary, 2000-2008.
· Ketterer Kunst Hamburg Maritime Kunst Catalogue, Hamburg, GE -Auction 2 Sept, 2000.
· International Artist, Masters Painters of the World, "Etude des Roches", Australia - J
· Allgemeines Kunstlerlexikon (dictionary of artists), published by Saur in Leipzig, GE v. 15; fall 1997.
· American Artist Magazine, Sea & Surf en Plein Air, NYC - October 1995 (copies available). Artists of America, catalogue, Colorado Historical Museum, 1988,1990.
· Exposition Catalogue, Catalogue Listing. Salon des Ind`ependants, Paris - 1993,1994.
· US Art, interview by Gillian Judge, Adams publishing, Minnesota, December 1990.
· Chesapeake Bay Magazine, Chesapeake communications, Maryland, May 1983, May 1990.
· Dictionary of Sea Painters, book by Edward Archibald, London - June 1989.
· American Artist magazine, Billboard Publications, NYC - January 1988.
· Yacht Portraits, book published by Sheridan press/overseas press, Milan, IT - October 1987.
http://deborahchapin.com studio online; http://deborahchapin.wordpress.com newletter online; http://deborahchapin.com/cv.html online resume
I am working on two main portfolios at this time. One is a series of underwater pieces portrait mostly and a completely new style although it has roots in my marine work and the second is beach and seascapes. I have returned to what I love to paint almost exclusively. I am accepting commission work and have created a service form to help collectors get started in this. You can see and use the form at http://deborahchapin.wordpress.com/help-me-with-a-commission/ please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.