Deborah Jane Chapin
Lived/Active: Maryland / France
Known for: Seascape, Marine, Landscape, figurative
Style(s): Plein Air, Realist, Contemporary
Medium(s): Oil, Charcoal, Pencil
Price Information as of 02/15/2012:
Originals Run from $1500 smaller sketches to $20,000 larger plein air oils currently and are sold exclusively through the studio http://www.gallery.deborahchapin.com or Mystic Maritime Gallery. Originals and Canvas Prints are available through http://www.gallery.deborahchapin.com
Please send me Alert Updates for Deborah Jane Chapin (free)
What is an alert list?
After the Storm, 21x34 plein air oil, Brittany Series, Deborah Chapin
| || |
No Contest, 30x20 plein air oil, linen canvas, Brittany Series, Deborah Chapin
National Academy of Design, NYC 1991
· Paint America touring exhibition, St. George Art Museum, St. George, UT July- September 2007, 2008.
· CM Russell Art Auction, CM Russell Museum, Great Falls, MT - March 2007
· NAPA Valley Museum, Arts for the Parks 2004, Yountville, California - June-September 2005
· Kolb Studio, Grand Canyon Association, Arts for the Parks 2004, Grand Canyon, Arizona - April-June 2005
· Booth Western Art Museum, Arts for the Parks 2004, Cartersville, Georgia - December 2004- February 2005
· Ketterer Kunst Hamburg, 17th- 20th Century Marine art - 252. Auction, - Sept 2000. (see KettererPresscatalogue.htm and KetterKunstCatalogue.html
· Louvre - Salon de Société Nationale des Beaux Arts, Paris - June 1999, 2000, 2001
· Meridian International Center, One-Person Exhibition -1997, 1992.
· Grand Palais , Paris, France - 1994, 1993, 2003.
· Colorado Historical Museum, "Artists of America Exhibition", Denver, CO - 1988. (catalogues published)
· Maryland Historical Museum, Baltimore, MD - 1989.
· San Diego Maritime Museum, One-Person Exhibit - 1988.
· Carnegie Art Museum, One-Person Exhibit – 1988.
· Ventura County Maritime Museum, One-Person Exhibit. 1988.
· Mariners Museum, Fremantle, Western Australia - 1986.
Selected Other Exhibitions
· Mystic International - Mystic Seaport - Mystic, Connecticut - September 2007, 1985, 1984, 1983
· Paint America - The Natural World Observed - N.A.P.P.A.P. National Exhibition - Texas Art Gallery - Dallas, Texas - February 2007
· Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, Charleston, SC February 2005- 2008.
· The Natural World Observed - N.A.P.P.A.P. National Exhibition - Elkhorn Gallery - Winterpark, Colorado - June 2006 Ella Carothers Dunnegan Gallery - Bolivar, Missouri - March 2005
· The Natural World Observed - N.A.P.P.A.P. National Exhibition - National Arts Club - New York - September 2005
· Arts for the Parks Top 100 and Finalist, Art West Gallery and Jackson Lake Lodge Jackson Lake Lodge, Jackson Hole, W - September - December 2001, 2004.
· National Arts Club - Gregg Gallery, One-Person Exhibition, New York - September 1998, 2003, 2005
· Audubon Naturalist Society, One-Person Exhibitions - 1992, 1994, 1995, 2002.
· Northwest Marine Art Exhibition, Kirsten Gallery - 2002, 2004, 2006.
· Impressions of New England - Bennington VT - 2002, 2003.
· Beaux Arts Bash, Scottsdale Artist School, Scottsdale, AZ - 2001-2008.
· Southern Vermont Art Center, One Person Exhibition - June, 2000.
· Annual Exhibiting Artist Members’ Exhibition, National Arts Club, 1998-2006.
· Salmagundi Open, Salmagundi Club, NYC - 1996. Grand National, American Artists Professional League, Salmagundi Club, NYC - 1995.
· Baku, Azerbaijan (formerly in USSR), American Embassy-1995-98.
· Bogota, Colombia, American Embassy -1995-98. (Catalog Published) Sanaa, Yemen, American Embassy - 1995-98.
· Quito, Ecuador, American Embassy - 1993-96. United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, American Embassy - 1992-95. (Catalog Published)
· National Arts Club
· National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters (founder)
· Artist Fellowship Artist
· Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts
Lectures/Books and Magazine Publications
· biographical sketch is featured in the: Allgemeines Kunstlerlexikon (dictionary of artists), published by Saur in Leipzig, GE v. 15; fall 1997 which is the standard for reference of museum’s worldwide. It is a complete and exact biographical data spanning the entire world-wide spectrum of arts from antiquity up to present with over 300,000 artists and a selection of exhibitions by these artists based on the structured data of the encyclopedia Thieme-Becker and Vollmer (the predecessors of the AKL) complete from a to z and the structured data of the AKL as the printed version goes on. currently from a to "campagnari". data from Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon, published in printed form by K. G. Saur Verlag.
· Smithsonian American Art Museum, Invited to Lecture/DVD Demo on Plein Air Painting, Sea & Surf en Plein Air, Washington, DC, October 2007.
· CM Russell Musem, Charles M Russell Museum catalog Exhibition/Auction, Montana, p 19, 63, 2007.
· Chesapeake Life, January 2007, Shorelines Feature p29. Review of - "On Location" by R. Mcdaniel, 2005.
· Gerlinde de Beer (auth), monograph, Ludolf Backhuysen, p.56, 2001.
Who's Who in American Art, 24th - 28th edition 2001-2009. The Artists Blue Book, bibliography summary, 2000-2008.
· Ketterer Kunst Hamburg Maritime Kunst Catalogue, Hamburg, GE -Auction 2 Sept, 2000.
· International Artist, Masters Painters of the World, "Etude des Roches", Australia - J
· Allgemeines Kunstlerlexikon (dictionary of artists), published by Saur in Leipzig, GE v. 15; fall 1997.
· American Artist Magazine, Sea & Surf en Plein Air, NYC - October 1995 (copies available). Artists of America, catalogue, Colorado Historical Museum, 1988,1990.
· Exposition Catalogue, Catalogue Listing. Salon des Ind`ependants, Paris - 1993,1994.
· US Art, interview by Gillian Judge, Adams publishing, Minnesota, December 1990.
· Chesapeake Bay Magazine, Chesapeake communications, Maryland, May 1983, May 1990.
· Dictionary of Sea Painters, book by Edward Archibald, London - June 1989.
· American Artist magazine, Billboard Publications, NYC - January 1988.
· Yacht Portraits, book published by Sheridan press/overseas press, Milan, IT - October 1987.
http://gallery.deborahchapin.com studio online; http://deborahchapin.wordpress.com newletter online; http://gallery.deborahchapin.com/exhibition-history-of-35-years-in-paint-by-deborah-chapin/ online resume
I am working on two main portfolios at this time. One is a series of underwater pieces portrait mostly and a completely new style although it has roots in my marine work and the second is beach and seascapes. I have returned to what I love to paint almost exclusively. I am accepting commission work and have created a service form to help collectors get started in this. You can see and use the form at please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions through my gallery at http://www.gallery.deborahchapin.com