Robert Garret Thew
Born October 13, 1892 in Sharon Connecticut. Son of Martin E. Thew and Bertha Louise (Church) Thew.
Studied Fine Art at Syracuse University and studied painting under George Bellows at Art Student’s League NYC. After serving in the U S Army 1918-19. He was employed at the J. Walter Thomson Agency where he introduced the use of color in magazine advertising.
He married Elsie Greene in 1923 and moved to Westport, Connecticut where he formed the Artistic Bronze Foundry to produce sculptures of his creation. In the five years prior to the market crash of ‘29 he produced hundreds of small sculptures for lamps, doorstops, trivets, bookends, etc. One well known set of bookends is Preface & Finis, a sitting female figure with a book in her lap (Preface) and a standing female figure (Finis) holding a book (misnamed “Singer“) .
In 1935 Garret Thew, created an entrance fountain for the Greens Farms School in Westport, Conn. as part of the WPA, a U S Government program planned to help stem the depression of ‘29 -’40. He founded Garret Thew Studios in 1937 to produce his new creations, cast aluminum estate signs made to order with a decorative motif designed for the client. After WWII he created a line of trivets followed by small sculptures in ceramic. In his last years before his death March 1, 1964 he concentrated on landscapes in oil. He was survived by his wife, Elsie, 1897-1983 . Daughters Janice Lindstrom and Robin Thew and son John Garret Thew
Information provided by John Garret Thew, son of the artist