Submitted in April of 2006 by his daughter, Normajean (Ulery) MacLeod:
He was the first permanent resident painter of Contemporary, Non-Objective and Cosmic Art in Brown County, Indiana.
During the 1940's, Ulery worked as a mosaicist, muralist and serigraphist on the California WPA Art Project. He was a member of the workshop for Social Art, the Open Circle Gallery of Abstract Artists, and the Council of Allied Artists, Hollywood, California.
He had one-man shows at the Ens Gallery and the American Contemporary Gallery, Hollywood, followed by group shows: The John Decker Gallery, Beverly Hills; Pacifica Center; and The Los Angeles County Museum. In Indiana, he exhibited at the Swopes Gallery, Ball State University; John Herron Gallery; Indianapolis; and in New York at the Museum of Non-Objective Art. His paintings are in the permanent Onya LaTour collection, Indianapolis Museum of Art. In 2002, a retrospective was held at Artists' Row Gallery in Bloomington, Indiana. His work is owned by collectors in France, Italy, England and the US.
Ulery's passion was Fine Art, both traditional and modern, but to support his passion he earned a meager living from his commercial work, originating posters for the famed Brown County Playhouse, and creating the "old-fashioned" sign lettering and advertising brochures that remain prevalent in Nashville, Indiana today.