Samuel P. Ziegler, a portrait, landscape and figure painter as well as muralist, printmaker and musician, spent his early years studying in his native state at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts with William Merritt Chase, Thomas Anschutz and Hugh Breckenridge. He studied music at the Philadelphia Musical Academy from 1905 to 1912 when he went to Europe on a year-long scholarship to tour museums. He then settled into a painting studio in Philadelphia and also taught cello at the Musical Academy.
In 1917, he moved to Texas for the remainder of his life. He joined the music faculty of Texas Christian University in Fort Worth and played cello in the Fort Worth Symphony. In his spare time he did painting, and in 1919, took a position as art instructor at Texas Woman's College, which became Texas Wesleyan University. In 1921, he began a 27-year period as Director of the Art Department.
Ziegler was active in civic arts organization as a member of the Painter's Club of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Art Association. He also did a series of architectural landmark and petroleum industry lithographs, and in 1934, did a mural for the Fort Worth public schools titled The Development of Aviation. In 1935, he served on the Texas Centennial Exposition.
John and Deborah Powers, Painters, Sculptors & Graphic Artists